Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    After reading the "Difference Between 806 and 802 Drivers," and now I am thoroughly confused.

    I know that the 802 is the extended freq response driver, but why are there so many different versions of the 806, 807, 808?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    806 = .8lb magnet, aluminum tangential surround diaphragm, standard compression driver load in most 800hz Altec speaker systems from the early 60's thru the early 70's. 806A is usually found as 16ohm with 806-8A being the 8 ohm version, those are the two most commonly found examples.

    807 = .8lb magnet, symbiotic diaphragm/loading cap, some OEM examples may have had solder tabs instead of binding posts.

    808 = 1.2lb magnet, symbiotic diaphragm/loading cap, usually found in sound reinforcement/high output applications where small format compression drivers were used

    FWIW, in reference to the other thread, i don't consider the 23746 driver to specifically be an 806-8A(Brad enlightened me to this idea a while back), it's simply a "23746" specifically designed for the few speaker systems in which it was used. Since in many cases the difference between models of compression drivers has to do specifically with the diaphragm load, we probably should not call a 23746 an 806-8A since it does not contain an 806-8A diaphragm load.

    Just my .02........................ don't quote me as the last word but i think this is a reasonable summary
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    808 = 1.2lb magnet, symbiotic diaphragm/loading cap, usually found in sound reinforcement/high output applications where small format compression drivers were used
    I didn't realize the 808 had a larger magnet......... I thought it was the same as the others but non-tangerine, and symbiotic. I knew there was a driver or two with a smaller magnet, but thought it was an exception........ but it looks like the larger magnet of the 808 is the exception...... or am I confused? Is there a driver with a still smaller magnet (less than .8lbs)

    I've got a pair of 808-8a out of 1221a monitors.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I didn't realize the 808 had a larger magnet......... I thought it was the same as the others but non-tangerine, and symbiotic. I knew there was a driver or two with a smaller magnet, but thought it was an exception........ but it looks like the larger magnet of the 808 is the exception...... or am I confused? Is there a driver with a still smaller magnet (less than .8lbs)

    I've got a pair of 808-8a out of 1221a monitors.
    Change the diaphragm load in an 808 to a 34647 and no loading cap add felt damping, and you now have an 802.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Wow, I am surprised and "kind of/sort of" glad that I am not the only one confused.

    So in what applications were the 806, 807, & 808s used in. Since these drivers had a somewhat restricted freq range, ie Altec rated them to 15kHZ, but I bet it was only really usable to 10kHz(AM radio quality at best), I supposed they were used mostly in custom voice PA systems in small areas.

    BTW: did the 808s have Altec's plastic Tangerine phase plug(cheaper) rather than the machined circumferential(more expensive) phase plug?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Lee View Post
    BTW: did the 808s have Altec's plastic Tangerine phase plug(cheaper) rather than the machined circumferential(more expensive) phase plug?
    I beleive the B's were Tangerine. My A's are the cast/machined/metal type.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Change the diaphragm load in an 808 to a 34647 and no loading cap add felt damping, and you now have an 802.
    Yep, my pair of '802-8D' have 808-8A labels on them since I could buy them at a MI store and have them trade me diaphragms for considerably less than the distributor price for properly labeled units. Later, I re-installed the 'free' loading caps after bouncing the 23744s off the phase plugs.

    Hmm, just noticed the 802-8D labels listing Symbiotiks, so if mine are 802D except 8 ohms, then what is it if not an -8D?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Later, I re-installed the 'free' loading caps after bouncing the 23744s off the phase plugs.
    You needed some of those paper shims they used at the factory when final assembling/inspecting the 807's and 808's.

    Hmm, just noticed the 802-8D labels listing Symbiotiks, so if mine are 802D except 8 ohms, then what is it if not an -8D?
    I'm pretty sure those never had symbiotik diaphragms in them, the date codes on the diaphragms themselves are within a few weeks of the other components in that pair of 9846's.

    Possible the diaphragms could have been swapped out at the time of purchase.

    I wonder if it's also possible that no 802-8D's ever had symbiotiks?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    Differences between the 806, 807, & 808


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Differences between the 806, 807, & 808

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    FWIW, in reference to the other thread, i don't consider the 23746 driver to specifically be an 806-8A(Brad enlightened me to this idea a while back), it's simply a "23746" specifically designed for the few speaker systems in which it was used. Since in many cases the difference between models of compression drivers has to do specifically with the diaphragm load, we probably should not call a 23746 an 806-8A since it does not contain an 806-8A diaphragm load.

    Just my .02........................ don't quote me as the last word but i think this is a reasonable summary
    I think Altec just made slight changes(Ex.Diaphragms) they got a new model #.You can go nuts trying to keep up with them all.

    Now WRT the 23746 was just a part # given before model # designation IME.I have a picture I saved I have to find it now.That had a 806-8A label and the ink stamps on the back covers too, 23746.

    Another instance of this is the 033952 stamp that later got the model # 802-8G for the most part I think Altec used part #'s inside sealed cabinets were they wouldn't be seen.You can see how confusing it can get when they use just #'s and when the ink stamp wasn't stamped clearly you could imagine trying to order parts for a driver that looks like # ah I can only read 3 numbers on the cover but looks like so and so.

    I thought that Symbiotik was just a reference to the phenolic diaphragm installed and that's all.Same driver just different diaphragms, they have lower top end response, but will handle more power than a standard aluminium.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.